Saturday, December 8, 2007

Hotel Roach: You can check in, but you can never check out

Well I've tried to maintain some optimism, but it's going on 2 weeks of having this stupid chest cold and I still can't fall asleep at night b/c when I take a semi-deep breath I start coughing uncontrollably. Uggghhhhh.

But at least I have a nice, calm weekend planned so I can hopefully catch up on some R&R. As I was leaving work, I was talking with another project manager who ski's and he said that a relatively nicely-sized ski resort in NY state (about 2 hr drive away) has most of its runs open with about a 40" base of snow. I know - it's no Colorado, but I convinced myself for about 15 minutes that I was going to wake up at 6am this morning and head up there to get some solid slope time. Needless to say, that didn't happen. Actually, I'm still laying in bed. And this is much better. :)

Oohhh - my roommates and I exterminated our apartment last night. Or, at least I should say that they provided me with the Raid and I exterminated our apartment.

See it all started about 3 weeks ago when I discovered a few roaches near our sink and I promptly squished them with a paper towel. Now, I've been out on the road for much of the last few weeks and I told my roommates of my discovery, but Conor in particular didn't see any more until yesterday - and apparently he transforms into a little squealing girl when he sees bugs. And he made said transformation when I returned home from work and found him high-stepping through the living room hollering some mean smack-talk to the roaches in the kitchen. So, of course, I made fun of him. But he followed through with his threats to the roachies and bought some Raid... and he gave it to me to handle the situation.

What followed was a slaughter of almost-Armageddon proportions. Conor stayed in the livingroom for most of it, shouting words of encouragement followed by more menacing words to the roaches writhing on the floor. Andy stepped in and helped me move more stuff out of the kitchen so I could continue mowing down the roaches... and he helped me plant the Roach traps all about the kitchen.

So, stage 1 of the attack has been executed successfully. I think we're going to call for backup and have the apartment fumigated properly. Conor said he couldn't sleep last night.

2 comments:

Anissa said...

sick.

Anissa said...

and, i should like to know how it is that you managed to give me your head/chest crap all the way from the east coast? no no, i've got it--if my head didn't hurt so much, i would have gone into a very entertaining 6 degrees of separation-like story that had to do with you and your plane hopping. but i'm sick and done writing this. hope you feel better bro, maybe go see the doctor and get some real drugs.