Thursday, June 14, 2007

AT - That stands for Appalachian Trail :)

Wow - I never thought I'd ever be that close to getting lost in a forest - but we didn't and we're back! Albeit sore and tired, but bettered by the experience.

See I don't think the folks here have ever heard of "switchbacks" before, so when they see an incline they just tumble some rocks down the hill and Ka-zam - you have your trail.

Well - I'm goin a bit far. The trail was very well marked for the most part, but with no trail map and no prior experience in the area, Amber and I spent 4 hours hiking into the Delaware Water Gap only to find trails that led to unmarked roads that led to other unmarked roads. And I got that eery feeling that if we kept looking for the next trail that would loop us back to the start that we might end up on the evening news.

So we doubled back - and man are we glad we did! It's now leftovers, popcorn, and hot chocolate for us!

Alrighty - here's some sweet pics from the day...


Blogger is stupid and wouldn't let me rotate this sweet pic of me snacking on the native fungiThis is how the "AT" marks its trails


So I took this one facing the sun...And then composed ourselves for another shot...

Made friends with the locals


And so we conquered the mountain
Arighty, I'll leave you with a last picture of the Buttermilk Falls - the beginning and end of our adventure

6 comments:

Always Hope said...

Wow! Great pictures! I loved your comments, too!
Have fun in New York City tomorrow!
loveya,
Ma'am

Dr. and Mrs. Thomas said...

hey bamma, love your socks. =)

Heather Lea said...

wow! i was going to comment on the socks as well. Very cute, amber.... looks like you guys are having a great time. love you lots and don't let any deers eat you out there in the wilderness. i hear they're really fierce in those parts.

Carissa Martin said...

Boy do I feel late! I too, noticed the socks above all else. My dad used to call that fungus stuff "Bear Bread" I dont know if thats the real name, but it always scared me as a kid that if I got close to it, a bear would mistake me for the fungus. Like bears even eat fungus.

Always Hope said...

Hmm-mmm--I didn't notice the socks, Amber, what's the catch? I must be out of the loop! {:\

Anonymous said...

So, about the socks... I have the ones as Aaron, but I look ridiculous because I don't have tall boots on. By the sound of things, I should really look at investing in those soon!