Saturday, January 26, 2008

New Years Resolutions

I wanted to make some reasonable New Years Resolutions for 2008 - so I did.
1 - Wear tighter pants
2 - Go see some live bands in NYC for goodness sakes - it's NEW YORK!

Well, you'll all be pleased to know that I hit a sale at Express for Men last Saturday - and bought 3 pairs of tight dress pants for work. (So, not THAT tight - but tight enough to make progress on the resolution)

And tonight I hit my first local show - at Maxwell's in Hoboken. Sure - it's not NYC - but I wanted to wade slowly into the crazy world of indie-rock at the center of the artistic universe. A couple of friends from BD lived in Hoboken for a while and said this would be a good start.

There couldn't have been more than 25 people there for "Makout Party" ... but these guys were pretty dang good. I'd YouTube a bootleg video for you, but I'm afraid of the search results I'll get if I query their name. Oh well - you'll just have to imagine.

The lyrics are pretty weak - like you'd expect from a just-out-of-highschool band... but they had a pretty developed emo-indie-punk sound that melodic layering that reminded me of Jimmy Eat World, hollering vocals that sounded like every punk band (but reminded me of the Almost), and delay-heavy guitar riffs like Explosions in the Sky (More like Mr. 1986 for you Joe Heider fans out there!). Melancholy and intense. I like it!

So - I'm really doin it! I'm hoping to get at least another half-dozen shows in before my rotation here ends in June. BooooYAHAHAHAaaaaaaaa ...

And this is how hardcore I am = I bought a set of "Hearos" to accompany me on my adventure. Earplugs - good for still being able to hear when you're 50, not for street cred.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tight pants huh... Now, are these Wrangler tight? I sure hope not because if they are that is DISGUSTING and the only thing you will be accomplishing is showing people where you find your true roots! Hahaha -Amber

Tanner Reed said...

It's all noise to me. You need to quit listening to music and get into talk radio! Instead of concerts you could go to Bill O'Reilly and Michael Savage talks and book signings. It'd be amazing.... :)